Homemade Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
Is there anything better than Southern homemade chicken and dumplings? After years of making it, this is my favorite homemade chicken and dumplings recipe. Today was my boyfriend’s birthday and his 2nd favorite meal is Chicken and Dumplings so I decided to make it for him tonight as his birthday dinner. I also made Banana Pudding for dessert. This recipe was done by me as I decided to just put a few things together and it was so good!
- 3 Carrots, chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks, chopped
- 2 Whole Fryer Chickens
- 3 cans Pillsbury Homestyle Biscuits
- 2 Boxes Chicken Broth, 32 oz
- 2 cans Cream of Chicken Soup, 10.5 oz
- 3 Bay Leaves
- Parsley Flakes
- Salt & Pepper
- Boil both Whole Fryer Chickens. While those are boiling take and mix together in a pan Carrots, Celery, Chicken Broth, Cream of Chicken Soup, Bay Leaves, Parsley Flakes and let it simmer.
- When chicken is done boiling, drain liquid into another big pot. While you are waiting on the chicken to cool, Flour a flat surface and roll out each Pillsbury Biscuit. Cut into strips of 4. Lay each strip into a bowl of flour.
- Debone the chicken when it is cooled off enough and able to be touched.
- Pour in the carrots and celery mixture from pot that has been simmering into the pot that had the chickens liquid in it. Add the deboned chicken. Take the strips of biscuits and shake off excess flour making sure each strip is floured so they do not stick. You will need to press down on the biscuits in the pot and not stir. Add salt & Pepper. As the dumplings are formed then you will need to start “folding” the chicken mixture on top of the dumplings, again not stirring. Will be ready for some good eating when the dumplings are done and not doughy. Hope you enjoy.